Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A New Approach to New Years Resolutions

So I was talking on facebook to one of my best friends (my "life coach" if you will), Kelley.  And she asked me if I had made any New Years Resolutions.  I told her that I hadn't because I never keep them.  And here's what she said about her approach to resolutions:
I make like 25 of them
and I set a reasonable standard where I say that I will measure success by the completion of at least 5 goals in 365 days
I vary the intensity and commitment of the goals. For instance, one goal could be a simple as cleaning my car out....where as another goal may be as complex as losing weight
I make life as easy on myself as possible. I feel that you should make goals at the beginning of the year, write them down (either on paper, in a journal, or in a blog), and review them occasionally. Then, in Dec of the following year, review to see how you did and where you want to go in the next year.
Goals are important to keep life from becoming monotonous and unmemorable
I thought this was an excellent, fresh approach to New Years Resolutions.  And I'm going to try it.  So here is my list of goals from which I can pick from throughout the year to choose to work on:
- Save 10% of every pay check
- Give 10% of every pay check to the church
- Find ways to become more involved and plugged into church
- Read 5 good books
- Take the GRE
- Clean the apartment with more regularity (once a week is the goal!)
- Go through and purge un used/un wanted clothing every season
- Make the majority of Christmas gifts for 2011
- Find a way to volunteer in the community -- pound, soup kitchen, tutoring, etc and volunteer at least twice a month
- Clean car once a month
- Feel confident in a bathing suit on the beach (aka Lose the 10 lbs I've gained)
- Stop treating my body like a trash can
- Work on (and finish?) a quilt
- Find a way to send love to my family once a season
- Send a couple care packages to Mom through out the year
- Find a way to send needed items to armed forces overseas once a season
- Take more time with my appearance with more regularity (never know when you'll meet fate!)
- Eat out no more than once a week to conserve money, increase my cooking skills, and have more control over my diet/caloric intake
- Apply to GTCC for PTA and WCU for DPT

No comments:

Post a Comment