Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve

Christmas Eve 2010 and I find myself surrounded by some of my most loved people -- some of my family.  And I realize just how incredibly blessed I am.  To have family who drives so far to come visit me (Dad all the way from the mountains of SC!).  To have co-workers who are so genuine, honest, enjoyable, and sweet (we all exchanged Christmas gifts today and everything was so incredibly sweet and thoughtful!!).  To have met and made friends here in New Bern who have helped to get and keep me plugged into Two Rivers Church; where Dad, Meghan, and myself just came from for the Christmas Eve service.  To have dreams that have brought me to such a quaint little town, where I hope I am able to continue working toward those dreams. 

I have so much that it's ridiculous.  I am so lucky.  So spoiled.  In the material things, in the immaterial things.  I want to find a way for me to give back more to the community...  I want to continue living a simple life, and to make it even simpler all the time if I can.

There are many things I'm worried about right now... Job (to apply to become a Hooters girl?  Will Cato cut my hours since we've just hired another associate?).  Money (credit card bills, bills, bills, bills).  Future (is PTA where I want to go?).

But I'm setting all those things aside and focusing on how lucky I am to have my family here.  That on this symbolic night, Mary made her way into Bethlehem to give birth to Jesus, Son of God.  That on this holiday, God sent his Son to live, teach, and to die.  That Jesus' death was ordained before he was born, to absolve us of our sins and to offer us eternal life.  To teach us of love, patience, and forgiveness.  That these gifts were given to me (and to you!) on this day is what we need to remember.  These gifts are the most important gifts of all.  More important and more exciting than any gift under your tree.



"In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) And everyone went to his own town to register.


So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."

Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests." "  Luke 2:1-14

No comments:

Post a Comment