Thursday, December 16, 2010

Joyce Meyer's Words of Wisdom

This morning after work, I came home with my Dunkin Donuts coffee and had a seat on my couch to watch Joyce Meyer's message.  This morning, she spoke about faithfulness.  About how God changes you and things in your life little by little.  God is not a fast food resturant.  He takes his time with each one of us.  She made excellent points -- we hear about Jesus when he's born, but not again until he's 12.  And what does the Bible say he did?  He grew.  Then after the one story when he was 12?  Not again until 30.  We hear about John the Baptist, who spent 25 years in the desert.  And what happened in that 25 years?  We have no idea.  But after 25 years, John the Baptist came out a changed man.  It took God 25 years to make the change needed.  And the lesson that dove-tailed in with this is the fact that you have to be faithful over the time in order for the change to occur.  You have to do the right things over and over and over and over again.  You can't just do them once and expect the change to be lasting or fulfilling or substantial.

Joyce's message was good for me to hear.  There are many things that I started but have not been faithful with. 

I have not been faithful to God.  I started going to church, but have not been faithful in my Jesus Freak love.  I have waivered.  I keep coming back, and it keeps shining through.  But I have not been as dedicated to God as I should have been.

I have not been faithful with my money.  I have waivered from reducing my spending to make more payments on my credit card.  I have not made regular deposits to my savings account as I said I would.

I have not been faithful with my cute apartment or amazing car.  I have not kept them clean like I should have.  I have become lazy.

I have not been faithful with my health.  I have lapsed from eating healthy and exercising regularly.  I have given way to slothful and gluttony ways.  I have become lazy.

Joyce's message was what I needed to hear.  I have, of late, become unhappy with all of the things I listed above.  I didn't like the habits that I had slipped into, and have been wanting to change.  But now I need to.  I can't be unfaithful in any of these things.  My physical and metaphysical self depend on it.  On being faithful.

Here are some quotes/wisdoms from Joyce's message this morning:

"Give some, Save some"

"you keep your word and if for some reason you can't, you go and explain yourself."

"be committed to a standard of values; between your own heart and God"
"dont think your standards won't be tested, because they will be"

"to gain something you have to lose something. you know; like lose the attitude"

"everyones got a case of the "gimmes" - give me give me give me"

"even those in troubled relationships -- you want that other person to change.  'God, please change them,' you say. dont even worry about the other person.  you need to ask God what you need to change."

"stop worrying about what God is doing with everybody else."



If you have not been exposed to Joyce Meyer, I highly recommend her.  She's not your normal preacher.  Her messages are relevant, easy to follow, and she has a great sense of humor.  You will not be bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment