Thursday, December 30, 2010

Happy Pills

For those of you who don't know, depression runs in my family on my Dad's side.  Almost all of my Dad's side has struggled with depression from time to time.  And I used to thank my lucky stars that I didn't get that gene.

But lately, I've been noticing some depressive tendencies.  And that scares the crap out of me.  I don't want to be like my Dad-- depressed, laid off, and with no drive in his life.  But I've noticed that I'm down a lot lately.  I'm completely capable of smiling and laughing (and hiding it?).  But my loneliness (lack of friends and a special someone) is hitting me.  The school situation is hitting me.  The fears of the future is hitting me.

And all these fears are shutting me down.  I can feel depressive tendencies sneaking in.

And I realize that I will have to have a therapist and possibly medication later in my life.  This is something that I accept and that I won't run from (which Dad did -- he stuck his head in the sand and did nothing).

No comments:

Post a Comment