Friday, November 26, 2010

What I Do on Friday Nights

Tonight, I decided to master crocheting baby beanies.  I'm not pregnant (I'd have to have sex to be pregnant, and seeing as how THAT hasn't happened in a long time...), nor are any of my friends pregnant or with small children.  I just wanted to learn how to crochet something other than washcloths and blankets.  So I decided to start with a baby accessory -- they're smaller in scale so would in theory require less time.

I found a pattern yesterday and a tutorial video on youtube and attempted to master it.  But I kept messing it up for some reason.  So I set it aside for the day and picked it back up today.  And voila!  I have crocheted my first baby beanie!!! 

It is super cute.  Now I just need to find a baby to give it to haha.

But in case you're curious or interested, here's the pattern and the tutorial.  I copied the pattern straight from the tutorial for quick reference for me.  And in case you're a newbie to crocheting (like I am!), I wrote the pattern more in english than in crochet language.  :)  All in all, the cap took me about an hour to crochet (once I'd mastered the technique lol.  Meaning I did not count yesterday's learning curve in the time count).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlsvJNklow

- Chain 4
- Join the chain so that it becomes a loop (insert needle in loop furthest from end of chain.  Loop new yarn, pull through both loops in the chain)
- Chain 2
-11 half double crochets (hdc) in/through/around the circle created by the chain.  This creates a neat little circle that makes me think of a sand dollar!
-Do not join the 11th hdc to the 1st hdc -- this will create a "spiral" effect in your hat instead of straight circles, which is a good thing!  It will make lengthening the hat easier; but it will also make it difficult to know when you've come to the end of each "round" (aka: crocheting around the hat and reaching your starting point)
-Okay.  Now that you're at the "start" of the circle, you're going to put 2 hdc's in the middle of each stitch of the circle.  This may be confusing at the start, but will become very easy with a little practice.  Watching the video will help demonstrate this better than words can describe! Yay YouTube!  There will be a total of 24 stitches made in this round.
-Now you're at the "start" of the second circle.  Mark this with a contrasting color.  I used a neon green hair stretchy.  You can use yarn like she does in the video.  Whatever you use, just pull it through the loop.  You're using it as reference so that you know when you get back to the start; helps reduce confusion.
-Round 3: alternate between single hdc's and double hdc's in each stitch.  This makes the beanie wider for the wee little head! :) (36 stitches)
-Round 4: single hdc in each stitch (36 stitches)
-Round 5:  this one can get tricky.  There's a sequence: (1st stitch/hole) single hdc, (2nd stitch/hole) single hdc, (3rd stitch/hole) double hdc.  Repeat this all the way around back to your reference string/yarn/hair tie.  After a few, if you get lost, you'll be able to inspect the stitches you've done and figure out if you're on the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd stitch of the pattern.
-Round 6 and on (they recommend to 21): single hdc in each stitch.  This is where it whizzes by!

My beanie started "curling" in round three!  :)  So don't be alarmed if your's doesn't stay as flat as the lady's in the video :) 

Half Double Crochet Instructions:
(takes into account that you have already chained a straight chain and have your needle ready for instruction!)
-"Thread" needle so that you have two loops on the needle (the loop from the chain and the loop you just put on it)
- Dip needle through desired chain/hole and thread needle again on the back of your chain/hole (you now have three loops on the needle)
- Pull the third loop through the chain/hole so that your needle is on top of the piece you're working on
- Thread needle again and pull this 4th loop through the 2 closest loops (you now have 2 loops on your needle)
- Thread needle again (there are 3 loops on the needle) and pull the 3rd loop through the remaining 2 loops
- And you've just completed a half double crochet stitch!  You're left with one loop on your needle and ready for the next step.  Whether that's chaining, or going straight into more hdc's! :) :)


Hope that was of some help!  The video is great.  Watch the video and try it.  Read my verbal cues and try it.  Just give it a few chances... Once you've confronted the learning curve (I promise it's not that hard!), it's a breeze! :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment