Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lessons from the Judd's

I'm watching Oprah right now for the first time ever in forever.  And I'm only watching because the Judd's are on.  Wynonna is one of my favorite country artists, and she's been through hell and back many times over.  And she has always had a rocky relationship with her Mother (something I can identify with).  But they're on the show today regarding their relationship -- how it has changed, how it has become better.  And they just shared three tools they use to communicate and relate to eachother to keep things from erupting like a volcano.  In disagreements, they use these tools:

1.  Is now a good time to ___? (talk, hug you, etc)
2.  I can understand how you feel that way. (doesn't mean you agree, but you can respect their opinions/feelings)
3.  Repeat back what you heard to ensure that you understand what's being said (makes sure that nothing is being misunderstood)

Great tools.  I'd like to try using them with my own Mother, with whose relationship I am trying to better.



And if you want to say no to something: "That doesn't work for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment