Saturday, February 12, 2011

Brutal Cross Section of My Heart

Sometimes, I feel like I am so stagnant!  I read and talk to old friends who are off doing these amazing things -- they're abroad, persuing graduate degrees, writing theses, learning new languages, and just becoming these amazing, cultured people.  Meanwhile, I'm in New Bern, working two part time jobs.  With a laundry list of goals I want to accomplish -- little goals compared to what these people are doing with their lives at my exact same age.  And then I have to wonder where all my motivation and drive for success went?  I think when my Dad got laid off and embraced non-productivity as a living, it affected my drive for success.  I don't work as hard.  I don't feel the ingrained need to go.

And then I realize that for the past five months, I've really wasted my time here in New Bern.  I've spent it whining and complaining -- about how I don't have friends, about how there's nothing to do, about how I (didn't) have a boy, about how much I hate it here and how this isn't where I want to be.  Blah, blah, blah.  Wasting my time.

As the saying goes, I need to put on my Big Girl Panties and deal with it.

And strangely, I am.  It's funny, and pathetic, that it took Chris coming into my life to really appreciate this town and to get working on some of my personal goals.  I finally am doing Physical Therapy shadowing with regularity, something I've been meaning to do since I moved here.  I finally am putting more effort into studying the Lord's word and dedicating myself to a Bible study.  I am finding myself with a few more invitations to social functions than before, which don't have much to do with Chris.  It's pathetic that I needed to have a boy-friend before I could do things that I wanted/needed to do.  The laundry list isn't much shorter -- everything on it is a process and not a fast achievement thing which is slightly frustrating, because it's nice to be able to cross something off a list -- but it's being worked on.  It's being wrestled.

I only have 8-ish days left with Chris before he leaves.  And is gone for 7 months.  This scares me like I can't even describe.  But to have him there supporting me, even across the oceans, will be all I need to keep me on track.  He'll be there, but he won't be distracting me from my goals.  I know it's going to be tough, and I know I will cry a lot, and I know I will complain a lot on this blog, but please be patient with me.  This is my emotional outlet.  There is nothing poetic or intellectual about this blog.  It's just a brutal cross-section of my heart.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like Chris was a cornerstone, a foundation piece that enabled you to realize that a foundation could be built. And motivated you to begin building. That's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he kind of has been! I used to be one of those people who didn't really need someone in order for me to work on my own goals, but it is who I have become... And as frustrating as that can be sometimes, I have accepted it. And the metaphor of "cornerstone" is an excellent and apt one -- and I'm excited to feel less mopey! A little more driven. And a little more optimistic. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete