Monday, January 10, 2011

Snow Falls Quietly Over New Bern

I look out my window and it's snowing.  Snowing those beautiful, huge, fluffy flakes that look like they ought to belong inside a snow globe.  Just flightly falling, swaying from side to side as they fall -- just like a feather would.  Heavier it falls... Coating the world in varying layers of white.  Blotting away imperfections in some places, making that which shows through even more vibrant in color.

The world is quieter as it watches the flakes fall.  Mesmerizing us each alike.  Despite creed, color, class, or background.

Blankets are pulled out.  Coffee poured.  Soothing music plays across town.  Thoughts are quieter.  More peaceful for some.  More logical for some.  For me, they're slower.  I'm able to hear them each instead of them flying by in such a whir that only the emotional responses are recognized.  Soon I hope that my imperfections are covered, are layered with white innocence and purity to allow me a new start.  So that that of me which does show through is more vibrant than I once was.  That instead of being caught up in a world that moves so fast it's been colored grey, I stand calmly, firmly, and peacefully.  Moving with deliberance and consideration.  With grace.  With respect.

Sometimes I wonder how I got to where I am...  Nothing but a series of consecutive events that unfolded randomly and unexpectedly.  My friends from high school.  My choice of college.  My choice of major.  My choice of friends and activities in college.  My internship.  My relocation to New Bern.  They have all been a series of consecutive random events, that have opened opportunities that flowed as if God himself was showing me the way.  Was I a fool to think this?  Should I have instead challenged the easy way -- was God testing, not providing?  Sometimes I wonder where I will be in 5, 10, 15 years.  And all that will get me there will be a series of consecutive events that are random and unexpected.

So for the moment, I'm able to lay aside my anxiety about Bryan, about my future, about careers and schools.  And for the moment, I'm able to sit on my couch and look out the window at the life size snow globe I get to be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment