Friday, June 26, 2015

Matthew 19

Today, the Supreme Court of the United States legalized gay marriage in all states of the nation.  My facebook blew up with love and happiness for the gays, everyone expressing excitement over the gays being given the right to marry.

I loved all the positivity.  How could anyone not love such an out pouring of love and happiness and excitement?!  But I was also very conflicted.

I know so very many people who are gay -- and I love them.  Each of them.  I do not agree with their lifestyle, I don't understand it.  But I love them regardless.  Because this is what my Heavenly Father does for me.  He loves me unconditionally even though I flub it up every single day, multiple times a day.  He knows my heart is pure and true, and that my faith is in Him.  So I pass along that grace, love, and forgiveness to those around me.  Even with people I don't "like" (our personalities are like oil and water), I still love and respect them as individuals.  I just recognize that that person and I aren't a good fit relationally.

So I'm happy that my gay friends are happy.  I don't want them or anyone to feel "less than" or "unloved" or "uncared for."

But my faith conflicts this ruling.  I didn't know that SCOTUS was ruling on gay marriage this week, this month, let alone today.  And just this morning, I was reading my Bible (like I try to do a few times a week) and was continuing my study in Matthew chapter 19...

(4)"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one flesh.  Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate." (ending with verse 6)

God tells me that heterosexual marriage is his plan.  That homosexual marriage is man's plan for marriage.  But God also tells me not to love everyone.  So I will. I will continue to love "the gays".

I post this not to spread hate, because I don't hate.  I post this because it's confusing to me.  To help me sort through it all and come to a place where I feel like I have a stance and a position.