Sunday, December 13, 2015

Who Is on the Throne of your Heart?

I've gotten to the point where I'm okay about going to church alone, without my husband, when he's working.  At first I hated going alone.  I hated that I didn't have anyone "with" me.  But I got to looking around one service, and realized just how many women were there on their own.  So this morning, I went to church. Alone.  And it was a good thing I did.  The sermon was relatively short and straight forward, only two scripture references.  But Pastor Aaron said something at the end of the sermon that really rocked me.

We all worship at the throne of some system.  But the problem is that many times Jesus isn't on that throne.  It doesn't matter if you've been saved for a month or for thirty years -- it's a daily decision to put Jesus on your throne.

You could have knocked me over with a feather.  Was this some grand revelation? Not really. But boy was it a grand conviction on my heart.

Immediately after this point, Pastor Aaron took us into a time of prayer. Asking us to let God reveal to us what was on our hearts, asking us to let God reveal who was truly on our throne.  And the tears rolled -- big fat tears down the sides of my face. Jesus nor God had been on my throne for some time. And I hadn't even realized it. My husband was on the throne. The To Do List was on the throne. The Christmas Presents were on the throne. The Budget and getting out of debt was on the throne. The negativity of my surroundings was on the throne.  And during those few moments, God helped me take them off the throne.  To clear the seat for the King.

How quickly our priorities shift.  And how sneakily they shift - with us barely realizing it.

The sermon was awesome.  I highly recommend that you watch the service. Even When It Hurts is the title of the series, and this week was part 4 of the series, which will be posted early this week. http://opendoor.church/media/

25 “All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14: 25-27

No comments:

Post a Comment