Sunday, June 3, 2012

I Done Got Away

Other than visiting Daniel or my family, when was the last time I just got away in the past two years?  Honestly, until this weekend, I hadn't just gotten away. Not until this weekend, anyway.

I was invited to ride along with my housemate/landlady to visit some mutual friends 2 hours away.  I accepted the invitation, and as a surprise to me, my family deposited some surprise "fun money" into my account.  Honestly -- every time that's happened before, I spent it on bills instead of fun.  But this weekend? I spent some of it on some fun.  WHAT a breath of fresh air.  I hadn't been to the movies in months, and I went.  I hadn't gone out to IHOP in months, and I went.  I hadn't stepped foot inside a clothing store (other than the one I work at) in months, and I did (and enjoyed window shopping).  It was just so nice.  To get away.  To enjoy good, quality company/friendships.

Jeanine, who we went to visit, made a funny statement regarding how things have been for me the last year -- "Fun? What's that?"  And it's the damn truth.  I had literally forgotten what it was like to allow myself to have some fun.

And now I realize what a priority it is.  To allow yourself some time for fun.  For friends (which I have not put as a priority and have honestly isolated myself from opening myself up to making friends -- all this stress has led me to constructing and maintaining a wall against friends).

So now I'd like to make a list of things I'd like to do around here for fun.  So that I can fully experience this area while I'm here.

Fun -- who knew it was so important??

No comments:

Post a Comment