Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Haircut

Today I got a haircut.  Last week I got a tattoo.  The past 30 days I've lost five pounds.  This season I've fallen in love, had my heart broken (twice by the same man), opened my heart and home to a couch surfer (in the form of my mom), re-discovered God, and started a new career path.  This year I uprooted my life and moved to a new town where I knew no one, had no idea who I was (still don't think I do), and really had no opinions on anything.

Life is truly an adventure, and you just simply never know where you're going to be or what's going to happen.  There are only a few constants -- family (which includes friends that are so close they're like family), God, and change (which some may see as 'ruined plans' but I am learning to embrace as God's blessings).

Today's haircut may not seem like an important change.  And in the scheme of life, it isn't.  But it was a big day.  When Chris and I dated and before he left, he asked me to grow my hair out for him.  I agreed.  Cutting it today and doing something because I wanted to do it -- it was a beginning on a whole new lease on life.   Seeing the lifeless, dead, and dry strands of my hair be cut from me and fall to the floor, to feel the lightness that came afterwards -- nothing can replace a long overdue and desperately needed hair cut.  It was a final "fuck you".  An embrace of myself and my natural beauty (I look so much better with shoulder length hair; anything longer just looks poofy, lifeless, and shapeless).  A new spring to my step.  And yes, the boost of confidence turned some heads today :)

Life is an adventure, and something as small as a haircut can be a pretty big part of that adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment