Sunday, March 22, 2015

Am I a Conservative or a Feminist??

Daniel and I are beginning the process of finding our first home, and we are so far enjoying the process.  There has been, of course, quite a bit of information, contracts, and legal jargon to digest.  And in some cases sign.  

I am all for the Biblical definition of marriage -- where the man is the head of the house and leads his wife and family.  LOVE it.  I understand its importance and that this traditional/Biblical view still influences business, society, and culture today (granted maybe not as much as it should in some instances).

But ever since I've gotten married, I have discovered that my signature (and thus my value as a member of the partnership) is "less than."  I am either signing second on everything or not signing at all.  And this is really bothering me.

It's bothering me that my husband is deemed more valuable than I by business.  It is bothering me that he has more say and more respect than I do.

Why do I always have to sign second?
Why am I relegated to cooking all the meals, grocery shopping every week, and cleaning the house while my husband's only responsibilities are taking out the trash (which he has to be reminded to do; and even then he ignored the giant pile of boxes on his week long vacation) and fixing things (that light bulb is still waiting after three weeks)?

I am struggling to accept the Biblical definition of gender roles in this case. I am struggling to accept my "place" as a wife -- as second.  And when I expressed these issues to Daniel, he responded by saying "I think you are more important than keeping the kitchen clean, the dinners cooked, and the bedroom clean."  Wow... Really??????  That's the automatic role that you put me in? Of course it is.  He had a week of vacation and cleaned the dishes once, never cooked dinner, never made the bed, never vacuumed, and didn't even bother to go grocery shopping (in fact complained that he didn't have any food to eat).

How to I reconcile my Biblical beliefs with my frustrations of being "boxed in" and feeling limited?

No comments:

Post a Comment