Thursday, September 26, 2013

My body and my mind and my spirit are all tired.  Yet I'm wide awake, with the necessary energy to begin my day.  Which began 2.25hrs ago at 430am.  I've worked out, showered, packed my lunch, prepped for my exercise class that I'll teach in 45 mins, and then I'll head immediately to my 9-5 job where I will face a very busy day, working with patients who largely are not interested in getting better.

Does the last part of that sentence give you a clue about why I may be tired and burnt out?

Working with people who are tired, in pain, lazy, and full of excuses is draining.  It's draining to be their ray of sunshine 100%.  It's draining to be whatever it is that they need in every single instant -- whether that's tough love, compassion, or a listening ear.  It's draining to figure out what it is that they need in each instant.  I'm not a mother yet, but I believe I may be experiencing some similarities.  Except it's the work without the rewards of a cuddle of a child or a laugh of a child.

Working with alcoholics, schizophrenics, those that are depressed, those with fibromyalgia, those that are just plain lazy...  It's not easy, nor is it very rewarding.

Yet I have to find my drive.
I have to perform.

For at least 11 more months.

No comments:

Post a Comment