Friday, April 18, 2014

Serving while Working

One of the struggles that I face and deal with on a nearly daily basis is the fine line of what I can and can't say at work in regards to my faith.  At work, there is the required tolerance policy, that states that we are not to alter our care for patients based on nationality, religion, diagnosis, or criminal behavior.  Which means I have to be very careful with what I say, how I say it, and to whom I say it to.

"Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not people, because you know that the Lord will reward each one for whatever good they do, whether they are slave or free."
- Ephesians 6:7-8

This verse encourages me on the rough days at work... That despite the frustrations and challenges, as long as I serve wholeheartedly and serve with the knowledge that God is my supreme supervisor, I am working on the right sides of the tracks.

It's easy at work to get wrapped up in the politics and the favoritism and "the grind," but this reminds me to think bigger than my office/hospital.  That the actions I commit are observed by a bigger being, and that they do count -- even if unseen by this world.

I am only a PTA.  But I may be the only person that a patient sees that day that treats them with kindness, respect, love, attention, and care.  Their other care givers may not give them quality time/attention/respect, and may be in a foul/rushed mood.  Though I may not directly speak to my patients about the grace of God and the overwhelming acceptance he has for each of them, I have to firmly believe that my spirit shines his light.

And when I get into that rushed/foul mood (I am human and it happens more frequently than I like), a heartfelt prayer (even if a brief one) is all that's needed to rectify my own issues so that I can put others first.

My job is challenging.  It's physical labor that leaves me sweating, with messy hair, and often without makeup by the end of the day.  But I find such fulfillment and joy with the work that I do.  Even when patients don't make huge physical improvements, they almost always make mood improvements -- something I almost put at a higher priority in a hospital setting.

Of course, now that I've written this blog post, I can only imagine that tomorrow God will challenge my opinions/faith...

No comments:

Post a Comment