Sunday, August 4, 2013

Love the Green!

This weekend, I was blessed to spend some time with Daniels grandpa -- his maternal grandfather who lives nearby, but whom we don't see very often.  On one hand, this is a shame, but on the other hand, grandpa has a LOT of personality and a LOT of opinions.  So small doses spread out over time is sometimes necessary.

HOWEVER we had some great conversation.  Grandpa may be opinionated, but he is very wise and experienced in the ways of how tough the world can be -- and he has excellent financial advice.  Despite the tough judgments he passes on his family, one thing that he said really struck me.  He was talking about one of his other grandsons when he said "If he'd just put away $10 every pay check into a savings account, in 10 years he'd have $2,600 (plus interest)."  Now this may not seem like a lot of money, but the principle is this -- I need to go ahead and start saving for certain things in life that are going to come.  At some point in the future, I'm going to need to purchase a new car -- this is just a fact of life.  So why not go ahead and start saving, so that when I do have to make such a purchase, I don't have to finance much if anything at all??  Same concept with purchasing a home -- why not go ahead and start putting money aside so that when the time comes, we already have a hefty down payment ready.  And same concept with children!  We want to have them, so why not go ahead and start squirreling away some money to help out when they arrive??

So this is one thing that I want to start implementing!  More savings!

All this thought about smart money choices really makes me want to put my Dave Ramsey CD's on and listen to the wisdom flow!

Now if only I knew more about investments so that I could really maximize my money....
And if only I could find a third small job to help the money flow in!

No comments:

Post a Comment